Homemade Chicken Wings
Buffalo Style Chicken Wings + Blue Cheese Dressing
July 29: National Chicken Wing Day.
Chicken wings can be fried, baked, broiled or grilled and tossed in hot wing sauce to recreate the popular appetizer made famous decades ago in Buffalo New York.
Today we offer a Southern style approach to the chicken wing dish. First, we marinate the chicken wings in buttermilk to soften the skin and tenderize the chicken.
Next, we dredge the chicken in seasoned flour and chill the wings to ensure our flour blend adheres nicely to the skin.
Our prepared wings are ready for hot oil or the oven and fried or baked until golden and the juices run clear.
Finally, we toss our crispy wings in a tangy hot sauce. Serve hot with celery and carrot sticks and homemade blue cheese dressing.
Buffalo Style Chicken Wings
Southern style fried chicken take on the popular chicken appetizer dish. Wings are marinated, dusted in seasoned flour, baked or fried until crispy, and tossed in Buffalo wing sauce.
- 3 to 4 pounds fresh chicken wings, cut at the joint, tips discarded, and rinsed in cold water
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- vegetable or peanut oil for frying
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup Frank’s RedHot Sauce
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Buffalo Wing Sauce:
- Add buttermilk, sea salt, and fresh ground black pepper to large bowl.
- Pat dry chicken wing pieces and add to buttermilk mixture.
- Toss to coat, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate from 1 to 12 hours.
- Remove wings from buttermilk, pat dry and place on plate.
- Add all-purpose flour, baking powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, and paprika to medium bowl. Stir with fork until well combined.
- Dredge wings in seasoned flour and arrange on plate(s) in single layer. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Remove wings from refrigerator. Bring chicken wings to room temperature while preheating 1-inch vegetable oil to 360 degrees F. in medium saucepan.
- Fry in batches around 12 minutes per batch until wings are golden brown and cooked through.
- Remove wings from hot oil and place on paper towels.
- Remove wings from refrigerator. Bring chicken wings to room temperature while preheating oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place wings on rack placed over baking sheet lined with foil. Bake chicken wings 20 minutes, turn with tongs and bake another 20 minutes or until crispy on the outside and juices run clear.
Buffalo Wing Sauce
- While wings are frying or baking, add melted butter, Frank’s RedHot Sauce, vinegar, and garlic powder to small saucepan. Heat over low heat for several minutes.
- Add fried or baked chicken wings to large bowl. Add hot sauce a tablespoon or two and at a time and toss to coat.
- Serve hot with homemade blue cheese dressing.
Blue Cheese Dressing
Perfect for dipping carrot and celery sticks, and Buffalo style chicken wings.
- 1 cup real mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 5 to 6 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- Add the real mayonnaise, sour cream, whole milk, white wine vinegar, sugar, fine sea salt, garlic powder and white pepper to mixing bowl. Whisk until blended.
- Stir in the crumbled blue cheese and minced chives.
- Cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.