Pecan pie is delicious because the rich, buttery flavor of pecans, especially when baked, lend themselves so well to pies.
Traditional pecan pie recipes call for pecans combined with butter, sugar, eggs, corn syrup, and vanilla. The mixture bakes into a wonderful sweet, rich custard texture that melts in your mouth.
There are hundreds of variations on this basic formula, and creative new takes on the popular dessert dish including ingredients such as chocolate, bourbon, molasses, espresso, sweet potato, apple, and coconut.
Pecan pie is often topped with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
The comfort food classic is a staple in Southern cuisine and an excellent way to end a holiday feast.
Pecan Pie Crust
Combination of all-purpose flour, cake flour, and ground pecans with butter and shortening creates rich, flaky, and delicious pie crust.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup ground pecans
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut into 2 dozen pieces and frozen until hard
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening, frozen and cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons ice water, more if needed
- Add all-purpose flour, cake flour, ground pecans, and fine sea salt to medium bowl. Cover and chill at least 30 minutes.
- Add frozen butter and frozen shortening to chilled flour mixture.
- Mix with fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Mix in fresh lemon juice and ice water.
- Make dough into ball with hands. Knead 4 or 5 times.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the chilled dough and place it on a lightly floured work surface.
- Roll the dough out on the floured surface into a circle about 13 inches in diameter.
- Roll the dough onto rolling pin and unroll over 9-inch pie plate.
Classic Pecan Pie
Delicious pecan pie filling baked in flaky, buttery pie crust. Traditional pecan pie filling prepared with eggs, granulated sugar, light corn syrup, melted butter, pure vanilla extract, and pecan pieces.
- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups pecan pieces
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked pecan pie crust (recipe above)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add slightly beaten eggs, granulated sugar, light corn syrup, melted butter, and pure vanilla extract to medium bowl.
- Stir to combine.
- Stir in pecan pieces.
- Pour into unbaked pecan pie crust.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until knife inserted halfway between center and edge comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack.